VIRTUOSO is a compact-size device for comprehensive radiological examination of food, soil, construction materials, etc. It can be used for official measurements for environmental studies, radiological control of agricultural products, in construction, mining, logging and woodworking industries.
The device is designed to detect cesium radioisotopes and naturally occurring radioactive materials (potassium, radium, thorium), as well as to assess their specific, volume and surface activity.
Thanks to the use of the brand new technology, you can now control cesium radioisotopes and naturally occurring radioactive materials not only in specialized laboratories, but also at field conditions.
VIRTUOSO works with the Android-based smartphones and tablets via Bluetooth. The device is portable and practical, it does not require special users training and operates in the interactive mode.
Creating a new concept of radiation control, we have simplified the process of measurement with no loss of measurement quality, but on the contrary, we have improved and expanded measurement capabilities of the device. In contrast to the time-consuming and cumbersome traditional methods of monitoring radiation contamination, VIRTUOSO performs measurement by simply putting it to the object, or even by holding the instrument in your hands in a certain place that you want to check for contamination. Thus, the item and its packaging remain undamaged.
With VIRTUOSO you can easily check radiation purity of:
- construction materials
- mineral raw materials
and such food as:
- baby food
- water, milk
- meat, fish, eggs
- fresh vegetables, fruit
- grain, cereals
- dried foods
- dried herbs (tea).
Purpose of Use
Detection of 137Cs and 134Cs cesium radioisotopes (hereinafter -radiocesium) in food and objects of the environment;
Evaluation of the detected radiocesium content in the quantities of specific, volume and surface activity;
Control of the level of background radiation in the environment, including assessment of radiocesium radiation level as the value of ambient dose equivalent rate purely from radiocesium as the part of natural background;
Measurement of specific and volume activities of naturally occurring radioactive materials 40K, 226Ra, 232Th (hereinafter NORM) in the objects of the environment.
- Portable, practical.
- Requires no special training of the user, operates in the interactive mode.
- Does not require sampling – measurement is done by putting the device to the tested object (material, product, soil, etc.), or by holding it over the studied surfaces.
- Requires no special preparation of the food sample (the product remains inside its packaging).
- Requires no special protection.
- Measurement range of specific activity of radionuclides 137Cs, 134Cs in the objects of the environment in geometries “2π”, “4π”
50 – 200 000 Bq/kg
- Main relative permissible error limits of measurement of specific activity of radionuclides 137Cs, 134Cs in the objects of the environment in geometries “2π”, “4π”, Р=0.95
- Estimation range of surface activity of radionuclides 137Cs, 134Cs in the objects of the environment
500 – 1 000 000 Bq/m2
- Measurement range of the effective specific activity of naturally occurring radionuclides 226Ra, 232Th, 40K in the objects of the environment in geometries “2π”, “4π”
200 – 20000 Bq/kg
- Main relative permissible error limits of measurement of the effective specific activity of naturally occurring radionuclides 226Ra, 232Th, 40K in the objects of the environment in geometries “2π”, “4π”, Р=0.95
± 35 %
- Measurement range of gamma radiation ambient dose equivalent rate from 137Cs, 134Cs
0.001 – 10 μSv/h
- Main relative permissible error limits of measurement of gamma radiation ambient dose equivalent rate from 137Cs, 134Cs, given Р=0.95
± 20 %
- Unstable readings of the radiometer during 8 hours of operation
not more than 5 %
- Measurement range of gamma radiation ambient dose equivalent rate H*(10)
0.01 – 50.00 μSv/h
- Main relative permissible error limits of gamma radiation ambient dose equivalent (DER) measurement, given P=0.95
15+1/H*(10)%, where H*(10) – is a numeric value of gamma radiation DER, μSv/h
- Sensitivity to gamma radiation for 137Cs, 134Cs
not less than 500 (pulse/s) /(μSv/h)
- Energy dependence of readings for energies 59 keV (241Аm), 1.3 MeV (60Со) and 0.66 MeV (137Cs)
- Dependence of sensitivity from the angle of recorded radiation incidence (anisotropy), does not exceed
- Number of amplitude gamma spectrum channels
- Setup time of operating mode of the device
not more than 1 min
- Time of continuous operation with fully charged storage batteries at gamma background (not more than 0.5 μSv/h)
not less than 24 hours
- Operating temperature range -20 – +50 °С
- Ingress protection rating
- Dimensions of the detecting device
not more than 114×36×83 mm
- Weight of the detecting device without case (with the installed battery)
Virtuoso application provides:
- information about the status of the detector, dosimetric and spectrometric data which is transferred via Bluetooth from Virtuoso detecting unit to a smartphone or a tablet (Android-based);
- display of gamma radiation dose rate and amplitude gamma spectrum in graphical view;
- detection of cesium isotopes in food, soil and wood, evaluation of their specific/volume and surface activities, evaluation of dose rate from cesium;
- detection of naturally occurring radioactive materials (K, Ra, Th), evaluation of their specific/volume activities;
- possibility to check the measurement quality of the device using standard metrological samples in Marinelli vessels;
- both beginners (simplified display of measurement progress in the “Found-Not found” mode) and experts (display of activity spectrum and trends) can operate the device;
- reports about measurement, their transfer to PC via Bluetooth, email, etc.;
- automatic adjustment of the detector’s spectrometric parameters at each measurement, device calibration in a separate mode;
- making and receiving calls, sending and receiving messages, starting and using other applications, etc., without interrupting the process of measurement and loss of data.